Since the passage of the Affordable Care Act of 2010, all insurances are obligated to provide screening and coverage for obesity treatment for eligible individuals.
Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) Weight Loss Coverage
Being overweight or obese is something majority of Americans deal with on a daily basis. Although most may over simplify this and blame themselves for overeating or under exercising, it is not as simple as “eat less, exercise more” philosophy that they have been advocating while obesity rates kept rising.
Alarming obesity statistics
About 39% of all US adults are clinically obese, with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 or over and taking in to consideration those that are overweight with a BMI of 25 to 29.9, this number raises to about 70% of all adults.
So, in this article, we will examine private insurance coverage, in particular blue cross blue shield plans for obesity screening and treatment with non-surgical interventions.
Although traditionally, insurances denied coverage for obesity, things have changed since the passage of Affordable Care Act in 2010 which mandated preventive services coverage and defined obesity as a preventable illness thus paving the way for at least obesity medicine physician visits and counseling. However, medication coverage still depends on employers who have to opt in for an additional obesity coverage.
Here are some of the frequently asked questions as it relates to BCBS insurance coverage for W8MD’s insurance physician weight loss program.
Is obesity covered by blue cross blue shield insurance?
Most BCBS plans cover screening and counseling for obesity and related conditions
Does Keystone Health Plan East cover weight loss doctor visits?
Yes, and we are in network in our greater Philadelphia offices with Key Stone Health Plan East.
Does W8MD weight loss program participate in most BCBS insurance plans?
Most W8MD locations are in network with most plans although we might be out of network with a few select plans. Please call the individual W8MD location closest to you find out if we participate in your specific insurance plan.
Does BCBS cover obesity treatment?
Yes. All insurances are required to provide preventive services coverage for screening and treatment when required.
My primary care doctor cannot help me lose weight. What should I do?
Unfortunately, most health care providers, including primary physicians, are not well educated in treating obesity. Call the nearest W8MD location that has physicians that are specially trained and experienced in managing obesity.
- BCBS participating weight loss programs
W8MD is in network with most BCBS plans in the states we operate.
- Is W8MD’s physician weight loss program participate in Blue Cross Blue Shield?
Yes. Call the nearest W8MD location to learn more.
- Does Blue Cross Blue Shield cover weight loss doctor visits?
Yes. See above on Affordable Care Act mandating preventive services coverage including obesity.
- Does BCBS cover any tests associated with weight loss program?
- Does BCBS cover weight loss counseling?
- How about weight loss medications?
Depends on your employer.
- What additional costs might apply?
- W8MD’s biweekly program cost of $50.00 covers up to two diet medications if dispensed in office.
W8MD’s insurance physician weight loss program is unique in many ways with a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach to weight loss that addresses all the complex issues leading to weight gain, both in adults and children. Since its inception in 2011, W8MD has successfully helped thousands of patients succeed in not only losing weight but also keep it off with an ongoing maintenance plan.
BCBS weight loss coverage related terms and searches
- blue cross blue shield federal weight loss coverage
- blue cross blue shield NY weight loss
- does blue cross blue shield of NJ cover weight loss?
- blue cross blue shield weight loss program
- does blue cross blue shield cover weight loss medication
- how long does it take anthem bcbs to approve
- weight loss program accepting bcbs insurance
- blue cross blue shield of pa weight loss
- *Certain restrictions do apply. Copays, deductibles etc. might also apply depending on your plan.