Emblem health, formerly known as GHI (Group Health Inc.), is one of the leading neighborhood health insurance plans in New York City. With over 3 million members, Emblem Health, is a popular insurance plan in and around the city of New York. After merger with HIP, GHI is now known as Emblem Health.
Do you or your loved ones have GHI Emblem Health insurance and need to lose a few pounds?
If so, you are not alone. About two thirds of the US population are overweight or obese,1 including more than half (about 3 million) of the adults in NYC.
Did you know that you may be able to get free help through your health care plan* under the Affordable Care Act?
Most health insurance plans, including Emblem Health GHI and all plans purchased through the Marketplace, now include obesity screening and counseling as mandated by law.
Does EmblemHealth GHI cover screening for obesity?
Yes. EmblemHealth recommends screening and treating all patients ages 2 and over annually for weight issues/obesity by using the Body Mass Index (BMI).
How do you use BMI to assess weight?
BMI is a quick and easy way to determine if a person is overweight or obese and is recommended by the US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). BMI is calculated from a person’s height and weight. For children and adolescents under the age of 16, BMI on growth charts is used to determine a BMI percentile ranking, since BMI norms vary with age and gender.
Measure your patients’ BMI using these calculators:
- Use the W8MD’s BMI calculator to determine if you are overweight or obese.
- Child and Teen BMI Calculator
- Why should I lose weight?
- Are there health benefits to losing weight?
Yes. People who are obese are more likely to get serious health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, and some cancers. Losing weight can lower your chances of getting any of those.
Does EmblemHealth cover obesity counseling if I am overweight or obese?
Yes. The counseling sessions can help you change any unhealthy eating and exercise habits. That, in turn, can help you lose weight and lower the chance of health problems.
Is W8MD weight loss program covered by GHI insurance?
W8MD’s New York City offices are in network with EmblemHealth GHI but not with HIP.
Does Emblem Health cover obesity treatment?
Yes. All insurances are mandated by the Affordable Care Act to cover screening and treatment for obesity.
- Does Emblem Health GHI cover medical weight loss?
- Are medically supervised weight loss programs covered by GHI?
Weight management resources
Obesity and Weight Management in Adults
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute: Facts About Healthy Weight
- US Preventive Services Task Force: Screening for and Management of Obesity in Adults
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute: Practical Guide to the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute: Aim for a Healthy Weight – Facts About Healthy Weight
Obesity and Weight Management in Children and Adolescents
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Centers For Disease Control and Prevention – Defining Childhood Obesity
- National Institutes of Health – We Can! Ways to Enhance Children’s Activity & Nutrition
- National Institutes of Health – We Can! GO, SLOW, and WHOA Foods
- NY State Dept. of Health – Body Mass Index-for-Age Percentiles for Boys
- NY State Dept. of Health – Body Mass Index-for-Age Percentiles for Girls
Emblem health GHI weight loss related questions
- emblem health ghi cbp weight loss
- emblem health weight loss doctor
- emblem health weight loss programs
- emblemhealth medical weight loss
- emblem health fitness classes