- Should you get the flu shot every year?
- Is flu shot effective at preventing the flu?
- Why should you get the flu shot every year?
- Does my insurance cover the flu shot?
- Where can I get the flu shot?
- Does W8MD offer the flu shot?
If you have any of the above questions, or other questions related to the flu, W8MD can help.
“Did you know the single best way to protect against the flu is to actually get the flu shot every year?”
Here are some tips on how to get a Flu Shot Free with Insurance at W8MD
What is influenza vaccine and how is it different from getting the flu?
Influenza is a viral infection that can affect anyone leading to respiratory infections, hospitalizations, and sometimes death. The flu shot is an inactivated form of the flu virus that gives rise to the immunity without actually causing an active infection.
Can I get the flu from the flu shot?
A milder form of the flu like symptoms can be noticed but it will not be as severe as the flu.
How does flu shot work?
Flu vaccines cause antibodies to develop in the body about two weeks after vaccination. These antibodies provide protection against infection with the viruses that are in the vaccine. The seasonal flu vaccine protects against the influenza viruses that research indicates will be most common during the upcoming season.
What is a trivalent flu shot?
Traditional flu vaccines (called “trivalent” vaccines) are made to protect against three flu viruses; an influenza A (H1N1) virus, an influenza A (H3N2) virus, and an influenza B virus.
What is a quadrivalent flu shot?
There are also flu vaccines made to protect against four flu viruses (called “quadrivalent” vaccines). These vaccines protect against the same viruses as the trivalent vaccine and an additional B virus.
What side effects can occur after getting a flu vaccine?
While a flu vaccine cannot give you flu illness, there are different side effects that may be associated with getting a flu shot or a nasal spray flu vaccine. These side effects are mild and short-lasting, especially when compared to symptoms of bad case of flu.
Flu shot side effects:
- Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
- Fever (low grade)
The nasal spray flue vaccine side effects – children:
- Runny nose
- Muscle aches
In adults, side effects from the nasal spray vaccine may include:
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
If these problems occur, they begin soon after vaccination and are mild and short-lived. Almost all people who receive influenza vaccine have no serious problems from it. However, on rare occasions, flu vaccination can cause serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions.
What are the benefits of flu vaccine?
- Flu vaccination can keep you from getting sick with flu. Flu vaccine prevents millions of illnesses and flu-related doctor’s visits each year.
- In seasons when the vaccine viruses matched circulating strains, flu vaccine has been shown to reduce the risk of having to go to the doctor with flu by 40 percent to 60 percent.
- Flu vaccination can reduce the risk of flu-associated hospitalization for children, working age adults, and older adults.
- Flu vaccine prevents tens of thousands of hospitalizations each year.
- A 2018 study showed that from 2012 to 2015, flu vaccination among adults reduced the risk of being admitted to an intensive care unit (ICU) with flu by 82 percent.
- Flu vaccination is an important preventive tool for people with chronic health conditions.
- Vaccination has been associated with lower rates of some cardiac events among people with heart disease, especially among those who had had a cardiac event in the past year.
- Flu vaccination also has been shown in separate studies to be associated with reduced hospitalizations among people with diabetes and chronic lung disease.
- Vaccination helps protect women during and after pregnancy.
Does W8MD offer the flu vaccines at most of its locations?
Yes. Most W8MD locations do offer the flu shot
Does my insurance cover the flu shot?
Most insurances cover the flu shot as it is considered preventive.
With insurance, for most people, there is no additional cost.
W8MD locations where you can ask for a flu shot
* New York W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & MedSpa, Brooklyn, New York
2632 E 21st Street Ste L2 Brooklyn New York 11235.
* Coming soon New Jersey at Cherry Hill, NJ at 140 E. Evesham Road, Cherry Hill, NJ 08003.